Monday 15 June 2015

Does anyone actually read reports?

It's that time of year when teachers are frantically trying to write reports ... as if we didn't have enough to do already! As I  was pondering on how I am going to get them written on time, I started to question if parents actually read them?



Have you ever read your son or daughter's report and thought that could have been written about any child in the class? Or I recognise that report writing programme? (Teachers may have noticed this!) Occasionally I have read a school report for one of my children and thought: 'The teacher knows and understands my child'. Therefore I always endeavour to personalised reports. It's great as a parent to read about a particular piece of work or event that your child has excelled at and that it has been recognised. 

Adding specific details and events to reports makes them much more enjoyable for the parents to read but inevitably creates a lot more work for the teacher. Fortunately there will always be children in every class who seem to be constantly excelling in virtually every area of the curriculum, thereby making it easier for the teacher to write about. However, there are also those reports that require more thinking time before writing, especially for those children who are getting on well at school and don't have any significant strengths or weaknesses. (I am aware that all children are gifted in something, although sometimes this isn't discovered until later on when they are introduced to new experiences).

So for me it's going to be a lot of late nights in order to get these reports finished and hopefully I'll have
satisfied parents who appreciate the effort I have put into writing them! 

(For anyone reading this who is thinking: 'Why isn't she writing reports instead of a blog post about writing reports?' I'm watching my daughter's swimming lesson. Plus everyone needs to take a break sometime!)

7 comments:

  1. Wee get 2 reports a year 4 Cortnee and I fink her teecher is bang out off order this time! I no Cortnee is no brainbox but me and her da hope she mite meet a nice football playr sum day cus shes a looker! Anyway her teecher says that Cortnee is special and has to move to a skool fur gifted kids. Im not stupid and no that her teecher is sayin shs thick. She just dont have the guts to say it too my face! Her teecher says she could be the next Moatsart. Id never herd of Moatsart but Stella in the job centre says shes the new cartoon on Nick Jr. I hope u dont rite such nasty tings in yur reports!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    This is a bit of a sensitive subject for me. I've been teaching for over thirty years now and about five years ago the little buggers wore me down completely. I now can't leave the house without a hip flask of vodka and if the head master were to open my classroom cupboards he'd think he was in a bottle bank. I feel it is important to recycle but since I lost my driving license it's difficult to move so many bottles.

    When it comes to school reports I used to be very diplomatic and would be very creative in finding something positive to say about the little s**ts.

    Last year I said that Demi-Leigh was very popular with her peers and that she might have a promising future in politics. Well no more lies! This year her report was an honest one. It said that the boys loved her as she gives great blow jobs and she is a compulsive liar.

    I'm due to retire this year anyway.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always read my children's reports and I genuinely appreciate the hard work that must go into writing them. I'm really looking forward to this year's reports as we've been sending the kids to tutors instead of letting them watch TV or play on their iPads. William's grammar has come on phenomenally, and Bertie is now a master of algebra. Thankfully Bertie doesn't ask for help with it because I don't have a bloody clue frankly.
    I've promised the boys that we can go to Disneyland if they do well enough - if not it'll be a day out to Thorpe Park. Hoping all the saving hasn't been for nothing - ha ha.
    Well, I hope you get the reports done soon then you can kick back with a nice glass of Chardonnay. Keep up the good work - it's nice to see you bogging again.

    Sienna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments. Always interesting to hear different perspectives.
    Sienna, I am planning on writing more regularly and should aim to do a post at least once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well as long as you write the report for the correct child! On Radio 2 the other day, a teacher admitted to getting two children mixed up at parents' evening. Imagine the trouble the clever one got into for failing. And possibly worse - the stupid one was called a genius! Maybe it was the teacher that posted the comment above??

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not good although I suspect that it happens! I always re-read mine thoroughly so unlikely to happen!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again everyone,

    It could have been me on Radio 2 the other day. It definitely sounds like something I'd say and do! I can't be sure since I started having my black outs.

    Hic!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete