Monday 9 February 2015

Goodbye Gluten!

It's been a year of frustration, misery and disappointment in relation to my attempts to lose weight and regain my energy levels. 

Despite being diagnosed with an under active thyroid over a year ago, my weight wasn't an issue as I always did enough exercise; usually five or six times a week. However, it all changed when I broke my ankle playing rugby. Unable to exercise properly, as arm workouts at the gym don't really count, I inevitably put on weight. Since getting back to exercise in May, I have lost some weight. But considering I now exercise, on average, four times a week, it has been frustrating and sometimes demoralising that I can't shift this stubborn weight. 

As I look a healthy weight, I'm not considered a priority by my doctor. Obviously I have been trying to eat healthily and have lost some weight following a shakes diet. Although I do find it difficult to avoid 'treat' foods!

Whilst my weight is an issue, my recent diagnosis of anaemia following months of low energy levels has prompted me to take action. If my daily dose of thyroid medication, iron tablets and berrocca, accompanied by early nights when my work permits it, can't improve my energy levels, something else needs to be done.

So following some research, I have decided to attempt to cut gluten. Food products, such as bread and pizza, have often left me feeling bloated and ill. Although I love the taste of toasted bagels, toast smothered in honey or bacon bap, especially after an early morning BMF session.



This has been a recommended course of action by a number of people, so I am hoping that in a month or so I should have some results. I will keep you posted.

Any tips or advice are welcomed. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment