Sunday 26 June 2011

I can't eat potatoes!!

Recently I took a food intolerence test and was shocked at the findings. My main intolerence is potatoes ... I'm Irish, I should be able to eat potatoes in huge quantities! In a normal week, at least three of my meals will contain potatoes - baked potatoes smothered in beans and cheese; sweet potato, tuna and sweetcorn and chips with either fish or sausages. So it has been quite a challenge trying to think of alternatives. Oh, and I'm also completely addicted to crisps so have had to abstain from them too!

The first week was quite easy, I just ate more vegetables. Unsurprisingly I have started to eat more healthily, replacing chips with salad. But it's amazing how tempting something becomes when you can't have it. After resisting the temptation to eat chips when out for dinner on Father's Day, I gave in a few days later at Nando's. They tasted gorgeous! However, a few hours later I was in complete agony. Proof that potatoes just don't 'agree' with me.

Amazingly, I have completely resisted the temptation to eat crisps. Though I have missed them. Instead I have found myself snacking on raisins, grapes and strawberries - again, much healthier options.

So I should be feeling better, after all I've stopped eating potatoes. If only it was that easy. Unfortunately, potatoes were not the only food that I had to either avoid or reduce. Milk, eggs, wheat, nuts ... I could go on. It seemed simple at first but when you consider how many recipes and sauces have these ingredients, it's virtually impossible! I don't drink milk anyway but I love chocolate and ice cream. Unfortunately these are treats that I don't think I could give up. But my main issue has been with wheat ... it seems to be in everything - cereals, bread, flour, wraps. Is it possible to have a wheat-free diet? Well, if you have the money to spend on wheat-free products and the time to cook separate meals, then it might be possible. Any suggestions regarding this are very welcome!

So at the moment, I think the best possible solution for me is to eat as healthily as possible. No potatoes, limited dairy products, very little bread and plenty of fruit and vegetables. I'm hoping that I'll eventually feel less bloated and be full of energy, no longer craving the foods that make me feel so ill. Simple!? Any advice and tips are most welcome!

8 comments:

  1. That's like me. I'm half Irish so I should be able to drink a lot. Since having my 1 and 2 year old though I find a bottle of red has me on the floor! Are any other Mums like this? I tried switching to Vodka but it feels wrong drinking it during the day - at least a few wines with lunch and the tennis are still acceptable in these weird health conscious times and I'm convinced it might help with your bloating. Love your blog Sarah, I'm near Kent too if you want to meet up for a fun lunch with the kids. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same, totally lost my ability to drink once I had children! Although love relaxing with a glass or two of wine, especially in the sunshine. Thanks for your comment, it would be lovely to meet up, especially as we both have one year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, I'm so so relieved to find someone with same mindset and even more importantly potato issues as myself. What were the chances? The internet truly is wonderful. :)

    Whilst I'm not a Mum myself in the traditional sense I do have 3 wonderful cats who I love as much as I imagine you do your children. Imagine my horror when I discovered that Mr Fluffy Esq (the black and white one) also appears to share my potato problem. He bloated horribly much like myself and I imagine you do. No more fish suppers for him!

    However I have great news that will hopefully help you get over the loss of crisps. Can I reccomend drying out thinly sliced turnip in the oven (180C for 20 mins, adjust for fan oven) and then applying a light mist of salt and vinegar. I'm still experimenting with prawn cocktail, lol! Hope this helps, keep the opinions coming! You're an inspiration. :)
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I used to bloat and get terrible stomach cramps. I too did a food tollerance test and was told that I am intolerant to dairy products and chocolate! At first I thought, "OK, I can cope with that". Then I realised that it would interfere with more than what I chose to put in my shopping basket....it would severly restrict my love life. My husband and I love a little cream and chocolate sauce! ;-) Like yourself, if anyone has any alternatives, I'd be really grateful. I'm going crazy! Lisa xx

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, that must be awful for you. Yes, dairy and chocolate would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to give up. I've been trying to think of some alternatives and all I've come up with are peanut butter, pate, and olive tapenade. Let us all know how you get on...but not in too much detail, LMFAO!!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dee,

    sorry I haven't replied sooner.....I've had quite a week of experimenting! My hubby and I loved your idea of peanut butter and were very keen to give it a go. It was a huge (pardon the pun) success!....worked a treat! And I must say, the Americans have the right idea mixing it with jam! lol. I thought my problems had been solved until the following afternoon when I met up with my "close friend" and colleague, Alex. Little did I know that he is allergic to peanuts. You'd think he'd have said something but then again, we never did much talking! ;-D Well, needless to say, I had to call my boss into the stationary cupboard to help....he knows how to use an epi pen. After a trip to A&E and an uncomfortable conversation with my boss as to why Alex had no trousers on, I think we got away with it. So lesson learned, just jam for me next time.

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Lisa

    Adulterous behaviour is nothing to boast about.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for not posting replies before, I was on holiday and had limited internet access.

    I totally gave in to temptation on holiday and ate chips and crisps, so having to wean myself off them now. The bloating and cramps were worse than before, perhaps because I had a month of not eating potatoes.

    Shirley, I hadn't realised cats could have food intolerences too. Thanks for your sliced turnip suggestion, I look forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete